awaited Service MNP (Mobile Number Portability) is now on move all over
India.Both Prepaid and Postpaid Users can avail this Service.
This is how Mobile Number portability would work for a normal user.
1. Send the following SMS – PORT to 1900
eg. PORT 9123456789 to 1900
2. You will get an SMS with your unique porting code. This is a unique
number that will be maintained along with your mobile number with a
third party called MNP Service Provider (Selected companies for this
service in India- Syniverse Technologies and Telcordia). The unique
code has a expiry time. You need to go to New Operator Outlet and
Submit your Proof to the new preferred operator with that Unique
Porting code within the expiry time.
3. The new operator will communicatewith existing operator and ask for
permission. If approved the new operator will set a time for porting
and communicate this to MNP provider and existing operator.
4. On the set date and time, the current operator will disconnect the
number, Then just go to New Operator Showroom to Collect your New SIM
CARD with your OLD NUMBER
1. The max. charge can be Rs.19. This has to be paid to the new operator. The operator can choose to charge you lesser.
2. There is a limitation of how frequently you can change the operator.
Once switched you cannot change the operator for the next 90 days.
3.During disconnection from old and connecting to new operator you
number will be dead for about 2 hours. Fortunately, this will happen
only between 10PM to 5AM.
4.According to rules set by TRAI, it shouldn’t take more than 4 days
forthe complete process from the time ofapplying to new operator.
5.You Will Lose Your Balance while Porting Your Number to New Provider,So keep Nil Balance.
6.Even you can Switch From CDMA to GSM
7.Postpaid Users must settle their Duesbefore Porting, Otherwise Porting is Not possible.